12 years ago today, I gave birth for the first (and hopefully last) time. Today I present to you a dozen things you might like to know about my dozen year old. (Bear with me — I haven’t outlined this writing, and I have no idea how I’m going to come up with 12 things — wish me luck)
- He enjoys playing chess, and has over a dozen chess trophies.
- He really enjoys playing video games and computer games, and I’m sure if I let him he could play for a dozen hours without stopping.
- His most oft said phrase is just one more level. I’d bet he says it a dozen times a day.
- This year he has been placed in our school district’s gifted program. (And the class size for his core courses is less than 2 dozen).
- He didn’t really start eating solids until he over a dozen months old. This didn’t concern me, or his doctor (after I changed doctor’s — but that’s another story). He had tasted things here and there but didn’t really eat with much gusto. At the time I kept telling experts (like grandma) that were concerned that there was nothing to worry about, and that I was sure that someday he’d start eating us out of house and home. A dozen years later, he pretty much eats us out of house and home. Okay like I’m glad that he’s not still nursing and all, but DANG it was a heck of a lot cheaper.
- He has inherited his mother’s love for CHOCOLATE!!!!
- He gladly and willingly will do anything I request of him. Okay – that is once I remind him that I’m the mom, and he lives in my house rent free.
- He has inherited his mother’s wry sense of humor, and enjoys things like Lemony Snicket books and Weird Al music.
- He’s bound and determined to win. When he gets a new video or computer game he’ll fixate on it until he reaches the highest level. This is both a good and bad trait.
- He does his homework without being bugged. I don’t know why — I know that not every 12 year old boy does this. I’m not complaining though.
- He is not at all interested in being involved in any team sports (soccer, football, baseball, basketball). As this saves me time and money, I haven’t pushed it.
- He does, however, love golf and is a pretty good player. Spouse and I have mentioned that it is possible to get a golf scholarship to a college.
NOTE: The “most off said phrase” has not be scientifically proven — but I’m thinking it’s pretty close.